Although vegetarian and other special diets are becoming more commonplace in Cuba, we’ll make sure we do everything we can to meet your needs. We talk with waiters and chefs in advance and announce each meal’s menu to our guests to ensure that the choice is allergen-free and otherwise acceptable. Some vegetarian, vegan and allergen-free options are below:
- Tropical fruits such as bananas, coconut, mangoes, and papaya can be found in abundance. You might also enjoy Cuba's most popular fruit, the mamey, virtually unknown in the U.S.
- Starchy, flavorful plantains are used in many local recipes
- Pasta and other noodles
- Rice and beans is a reliable staple
- Many locals enjoy incidentally vegan salads made from shredded cabbage, lettuce, sliced tomatoes, onions, or avocados, often dressed with vinegar or lemon juice
- French fries
- If you eat eggs, dairy, and wheat, breakfast should present few, if any, challenges. And the coffee and cocoa are delicious!
- Some vegans recommend bringing along a bottle or two of hot sauce to keep meals interesting.