Delicious Vaca Frita
2 lbs. Flank Steak
1 tbsp. salt
2 bay leaves
2 medium-sized yellow onions, one halved, one chopped
1 tbsp. olive oil
juice of 1 large orange
juice of 1 large lime (or 2 small limes)
salt to taste
1. Place the steak, onion halves, bay leaves, and salt in a covered pot and fill with water until it just covers everything. Cover and simmer until tender, about 1.5 to 2 hours.
2. Remove the pot with steak from heat and let cool to room temperature.
3. Remove steak from pot and use forks to pull the steak apart (similar to pulled pork).
4. Mix the orange and lime juice together in a small bowl or measuring cup. Use half of this juice and mix with the shredded steak.
5. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add the chopped onion and sauté until soft and beginning to brown, about 7 minutes.
6. Add the steak with juice and sauté for 2 – 3 minutes, then taste and add more orange/lime juice and salt to taste.
7. Remove and serve with rice, black beans, plantains, potatoes or in a sandwich.
Makes 4 Delicious Servings.
Photo by kaszeta