2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 large onion chopped
1 bell pepper chopped
4 cloves of garlic minced
1 lb long grain rice
1lb dry red kidney (or black beans)
4 cups of water
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Wash and clean beans before soaking, then let soak overnight before cooking. For quicker preparation, bring to boil for 10 min then cover at medium to low heat for 2 hours. (save the liquid from the beans)
- In a medium to large pot, place oil, garlic, onion, pepper, cumin, black pepper, and salt and cook for 10 minutes until tender.
- Add rice and 2 cups of the liquid from the beans to pot and bring to a boil, then reduce to low heat (15 to 20 min) and cover until the rice absorbs liquid. (if needed add more bean liquid for rice tenderness)
- Drain the liquid from the beans then add to rice and cook for an additional 4 to 5 minutes.
- For additional flavor sauté 1 chopped garlic clove and 1/2 small chopped onion for 3-5 minutes and add salt and pepper to taste.
Serves 4-6 People.