photo by The Masa AssAssin
Cuban Lengua de res Estilo
Tongue is not a meat that you see on many menus, but believe it or not... it can be prepared to be just a good as many of your highest cuts of beef. This is both an affordable and abundant piece of meat to purchase and is many times served cold once the tongue has been prepared. In this version, it is coupled with a number of other Cuban flavors to make this a filling and delicious dish to add to your cooking repertoire.
1 4-5 lb Beef Tongue
1 8oz can of tomato sauce
3 Pepper (Red, Green, and Yellow)
1 Onion chopped
3 fresh Garlic Cloves, crushed
3 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
2 teaspoons capers
1 tablespoon caper juice
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 Bay Leaf
2 Tablespoons Vinegar
Salt to taste
*Directions are for pressure cooker* Please note directions for slow cooker and time accordingly
1. Place the Beef Tongue in a pressure cooker and cover with just enough water to cover the beef. If you don't have a pressure cooker, a slow cooker can be substituted although it will need to cook on low for 8 hours.
2. Add one tablespoon of salt, cover, and boil for approximately one hour. (If using pressure cooker)
3. Chop peppers and onions and tomato's separately
4. Check tongue after 1 hour in the pressure cooker (8 in the slow cooker) to make sure that it is no longer pink in the middle.
5. Trim off the skin/fat and cut into 1/2 inch slices
6. Saute the chopped peppers and onions in the vegetable oil and add the rest of the ingredients as listed.
7. Stir in the tomato sauce
8. Add tongue slices and cover on medium heat for 30-45 minutes, season to taste with salt and pepper.