About: Only few things can give more satisfaction on a chilly night than a rich, flavorful Boliche Mechado! The key to a delicious Cuban pot roast is the stuffed chorizo- pork sausage! While this dish may take some time to cook, it is certainly worth the wait. What are you waiting for, get to cooking!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 4 hours
Total Time: 4 hours and 15 minutes
Yields: 8 servings
- 3-4 lb. Rump roast
- 1 large Spanish chorizo sausage
- 1 tbsp. oregano
- ½ tsp. salt & pepper
- 1 cup citrus mixture
- ¼ olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 potatoes, quartered
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ cup red wine
- Make a lengthwise pocket in the center of the roast. You can also choose to ask your butcher to do this for you. Pierce all over.
- Insert the Spanish chorizo into the pocket. Add some garlic.
- In a mortar or food processor mix together garlic, oregano, citrus mixture and rub onto the roast. Let sit in the refrigerator for 3 hours
- Heat the olive oil and brown the meat on all sides
- Add potatoes, onions and remaining ingredients, bring to a boil. Cover, lower the heat and cook for three hours, continuously checking on it occasionally and adding more water as necessary. Slice and serve immediately
Best served with: white rice, tostones, etc